As mentioned in Writer's Craft 1, the theme of this book is heroism in hard times. I thought Chaim Potok did a wonderful job in the way she structured this book to make the theme stand out even more. At fist, the story seemed like the story would be third person limited but it was not. The author writes the story through different people's perspective throughout the book. In the beginning of the story, it was mainly in the old man’s viewpoint. After the boy gets better, it starts to switch between the three characters. Chaim Potok did a wonderful job of this to get the reader to understand the characters personally aside from imagery and characterization. The way she structured the book just fit together very well and let me see the theme of I Am The Clay even better.
Also, the author did a good job with the diction. The dialogue between the characters sounded like it was from that time period with the beliefs about spirits and stuff. Chaim Potok did a great job trying to make the dialogue between the characters in the same time period as the setting of the war. A specific dialogue the author did well on was the conversation between the boy and the chaplain in the American base. The boy spoke with broken English and tried to explain his situation to the chaplain. I thought this was another example of heroism because the boy told the truth to the chaplain even though there was an easy way out. Sin Gyu tried to do what was right.
Friday, March 9, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I never heard of the author "Chaim Potok" but after I read your writers craft 2 and I noticed that he is a great writer. He shows different view of three main characters who are the old man, woman, and the boy. I really like the change of view too. And I discussed about heroism in English class. The book "The Shipwrecked Sailor" shows kind of heroism by surviving. However, as a went through your blog I thought telling the truth can be a heroism too. I think you did a very good job. I never will write as you. great job!!!
Post a Comment